Wednesday, June 18, 2008

the gift of giving.

Giving gifts is one of my most favorite things in the world. That and sleeping in, but I'll save that subject for another day.

I went shopping for a buddy's birthday present recently and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I love giving gifts. For me, it is especially satisfying when I know I can get the perfect present to surprise the one receiving it. I also relish in giving something that has deeper meaning and significance to the recipient because of a shared experience, an unexpressed need or a common interest.

I even have a ready list of gift ideas. Of course there's feeding the poor, educating the less fortunate, finding homes and families for orphans... But on a more personal level, allow me to share some of what I have on my giving wish list so far. There are those being saved for the day when I can afford more such as: paying off all of my best friend's debt; sending two of the most spectacular people I know on an all expense paid vacation for at least 2 weeks, without their kids; covering a fabulous friend's bills so she can be a stay-at-home wife and soon-to-be mom; buying fully furnished dream houses for everyone I love. Then there are smaller tokens of love and appreciation like hand-stamped necklaces, a favorite dessert, show tickets, a purse, McDonald's cherry pie, spa gift certificates or simple flowers. Those don't even come close to the half of it. It should come as no surprise that the list continues to become longer with each new day.

Have I mentioned that I take abolute pleasure in gift-giving?! In fact, I highly recommend it. I get blessed just thinking about it, planning for it. Big or small, the size of the gift really doesn't matter. The satisfaction achieved can be compared to little else.

Last Saturday I gave away the birthday present I bought a few days before, and I'm happy to share that I am still getting hugs, smiles, stories in return for it. It makes me want to give even more. I'm writing this today fulfilled from that mission accomplished. Whoever said 'It is more blessed to give than to receive' sure knew what He was talking about.

3 comments:

Tori said...

how come i'm crying??? i love giving gifts, too... and receiving them from you. giving gifts is your gift, and we are blessed because of it.

Anonymous said...

OH! SEE GOD!!!
Anna you have such a sweet heart. I love that you want to bless others so much and to help them achieve their dreams and make them feel loved. You are amazing!

Patricia said...

Anna....

You truly have such a wonderful heart and good taste in gifts ;).
I know because I have been a recipient of those fabulous gifts (i.e. my bag).

But even more than just those gifts, I have received numerous hugs, prayers, smiles, stories, encouragements that have helped me and will continue to do so in my life's journey.

I remember taking the spiritual gifts test when I first became a Christian...and I wanted to have th "strong gifts like prophetic, leadership, etc. and I saw the gifts of intercessory prayer, mercy & giving and thought to myself... "uuhh...that is so not me

LOL.

It is by your example of selflessness that has taught me that maybe the gift of giving and mercy ain't so bad to have after all ;)

Love you and I miss getting hugs from my annabanana.

Ricianne

www.ricianne.multiply.com