I recently watched a movie and the opening line included a quote that went something like this: If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. In this context, I know I've been making God laugh a lot, especially the past year and a half. Not just because I've been telling Him my plans, but more so because I know I've come across as if I'm actually the one in control of them.
I want to be careful to point out that I know that God's laughter isn't of any sort of mocking nature. I actually believe that the laughter I've associated with Him is more out of amusement. While I was trying to think of how I've come to regard it, I'm reminded of a time when a friend's son shared his answer for what he wanted to be when he grew up. His answer: a ninja/spy. That wasn't the end of it. He also said that he would stay at home and live with his parents forever. I was amused and I wasn't even his mother!
Now imagine me telling God that I'm staying in the Philippines, never going back into fulltime ministry and that the only person that I would ever want to marry has to be exactly like me. See?! How could God not help but laugh? His knowing smile is imprinted in my mind, and I love the thought that somehow I've contributed to bringing a smile to my Creator's face.
God's sense of humor has been so evident in the events that mark my life and make it my very own and no one else's. He has proven me wrong time and again in so many of my I'll never...'s and I can't...'s. And in the process, He's proven Himself, mighty, glorious and faithful.
I can dictate to Him how I think things should happen or how my dreams should be fulfilled, but this would be based on a finite, limited mind and scarce resources. Wouldn't it be wiser to allow an omniscient, all-powerful God, who knows the beginning and the end, who loves me unconditionally, who only has my best interests at heart, to take care of things? Doing so takes such a load off. Also, it prevents me from getting lost. Trusting Him to be in control, I am secure that I am right where I'm supposed to be at this time of my life -- regardless of how things look and feel. And while the path may not seem as smooth or as direct as I would prefer sometimes, that it all leads to Him makes every step in this journey worth it.
I want to be careful to point out that I know that God's laughter isn't of any sort of mocking nature. I actually believe that the laughter I've associated with Him is more out of amusement. While I was trying to think of how I've come to regard it, I'm reminded of a time when a friend's son shared his answer for what he wanted to be when he grew up. His answer: a ninja/spy. That wasn't the end of it. He also said that he would stay at home and live with his parents forever. I was amused and I wasn't even his mother!
Now imagine me telling God that I'm staying in the Philippines, never going back into fulltime ministry and that the only person that I would ever want to marry has to be exactly like me. See?! How could God not help but laugh? His knowing smile is imprinted in my mind, and I love the thought that somehow I've contributed to bringing a smile to my Creator's face.
God's sense of humor has been so evident in the events that mark my life and make it my very own and no one else's. He has proven me wrong time and again in so many of my I'll never...'s and I can't...'s. And in the process, He's proven Himself, mighty, glorious and faithful.
I can dictate to Him how I think things should happen or how my dreams should be fulfilled, but this would be based on a finite, limited mind and scarce resources. Wouldn't it be wiser to allow an omniscient, all-powerful God, who knows the beginning and the end, who loves me unconditionally, who only has my best interests at heart, to take care of things? Doing so takes such a load off. Also, it prevents me from getting lost. Trusting Him to be in control, I am secure that I am right where I'm supposed to be at this time of my life -- regardless of how things look and feel. And while the path may not seem as smooth or as direct as I would prefer sometimes, that it all leads to Him makes every step in this journey worth it.
A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)
2 comments:
God's laugh = foot in mouth :)
which we have many that im choking on so many toes! LOL
This is so so so good, I have had that scripture on my refrigerator for months! It's such a wonderful reminder that no-matter what God is always in control
Post a Comment