Tuesday, September 23, 2008

i don't get it.

I'm writing right now to get something off my chest: the fact that some things in life just don't seem to add up and that they too often don't make any sense. I've been finding myself saying 'i don't get it' a lot. And for someone who appreciates the logical progression, order and explanation of things: 2 + 2 = 4; if you study, you'll get a good grade; you don't color outside the lines; when doing laundry, whites go with whites, colors with colors..., it's been difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that there are just some things that I won't ever be able to understand or explain. In fact, although I wish this wasn't the case, it sometimes throws me off balance. At least, it has lately.

I'm hoping this won't be misconstrued as a lack of trust or faith in God, because that is sincerely the farthest thing from my intentions. I know that I know that I know He is in control. I believe with all my heart that He has a purpose for everything. I'm just here to admit that I don't know what those reasons are often times. Maybe it'll dawn on me in the future, maybe not at all. I realize God doesn't owe me any explanations. I guess I'm just acknowledging that I continue to wonder what, how, when, and why. And that it isn't always easy.

Still, I continue to trust this good God that I serve, whose goodness and unfailing love never wane, regardless of how incongruent and unreasonable situations and occurrences appear to be. He has already promised that He works everything out for the good. Not only that, He said that He has made everything beautiful in its time. As for me, I've made up my mind that I'm holding Him to it.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NKJV)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna, First off I am absolutely loving getting to know and working together. You are an awesome person and I count myself blessed to be a part of your life now.

Second, I completely understand where you are coming from. I find myself thinking "why" or "how" alot in situations in my life, but like you I do know God is in control too, I just don't understand it all.

I also find myself not understanding things that go on around me but don't necessarily effect me directly. That maybe others are going thru or doing that I don't understand, when really I guess it isn't any of my business to try and figure it out and I should let God handle it (and maybe add a few more prayers in there). (I think I am preaching to myself here ;)

Since like you said, in some sort, that it isn't our job to figure out God, just to trust him. I have to remind myself of that alot.

Tori said...

i don't get it either! i'm really frustrated tonight, and i think those exact words came out of my mouth at least once.

ahhhhhh!

thank goodness we serve a big God. who, in every situation, gets it. the WHOLE it.

Anonymous said...

so... apparently i'm not the only one! which makes me happy, although if you got it, i could just have you tell me :)
God's word and His promises are so beautiful and today i am resting in the promise that He has made everything beautiful in it's time. And, that no one can find out the work that God is doing from beginning to end...
so maybe we're not supposed to get it.
Love you Friend!

Patricia said...

i get it...i always get it anna. just ask me ;) lol

the righteous ones!