Friday, December 12, 2008

recommendation letter.

For two years in Yangon, Myanmar, Mr. Bell was my English teacher, softball coach, journalism mentor, and friend. And although our time together was short, its impact on my life continues to this day. I cherish many memories of him – our exchange of cheerful banter, his sincere and constant encouragement, his love of life and literature, his preference of the traditional "snail-mail", even my eye turning bright red after the once-in-a-lifetime experience of having my face hit by a softball he hit during warm-ups. My deep appreciation of poetry took root under his guidance in 10th grade Western Literature.

Looking back, it is hard for me to believe that it has already been four years since he passed away. I haven't thought about him in so long, and yet, these past weeks, my thoughts were directed back to him as I felt the need to pull out my copy of the recommendation letter he composed for my college applications way back when. Teachers usually kept what they said in recommendation letters confidential, but Mr. Bell, well, he felt it necessary to send me extra signed copies of what he wrote for me "to be used as needed." He told me to excuse the small font because there was just so much to say.

I still carry the letter with me everyday. The letter is now worn, even a little torn, from having been opened and refolded numerous times, and yet it never fails to uplift my spirit. It is not God's Word directly, but I believe with all my heart that God used it to get His thoughts across to that insecure, teenage girl who really didn't have a relationship with Him just quite yet. On days like today, I find myself taking the letter out, as I do every now and then, when I need reminding that someone out there really believed in me and was absolutely convinced of my potential, even as an awkward 16-year old.

It is by far one of the best compliments I have ever received. I hope that with where and who I am today, I made him and Him proud.

4 comments:

Bethany Gray said...

what an amazing post! your teacher seems like a wonderful man... but could he be a great as you Anna? ... see you tomorrow friend!

Patricia said...

i love that beautiful letter! :)

i love the beautiful person that the letter was talking about :)

Keri said...

Wow Anna,

People see that in you everyday. Your gifts your heart, who you are, what you can do. What God can do with you. You always amaze me, I am more blessed because of knowing you!

Anonymous said...

why am i crying???
i know you have made him proud friend. i know it! you make me proud, and i'm not a teacher or anything official...and i could sing about your wonderful charater... your amazing.. i love you so much!!!