Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the dress.

From the time I realized I was never going to wear it, I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what best to do with the dress. Do I tear it up? Burn it? Sell it on ebay? Make another outfit out of all that excess material?

I was very careful to consider all possible options. I even thought about lending it to a younger friend who didn’t have a date, much less a dress, decided on just quite yet. Then there were those times when one (mostly tearing it up or burning it) seemed more likely than the rest. But almost the entire time I spent trying to convince myself it was just a silly old dress. Still, I knew in my heart that it was anything but. It was, in fact, a dress whose very threads had sewn together the very fabric of my hopes and dreams.

As hard as it was, I finally came to a decision I felt comfortable with. And today I did it. I gave my dress away. To Goodwill. I thought it was quite appropriate because in spite of the circumstances surrounding my letting the dress go, I do sincerely part with it in goodwill.

I know that there is no guarantee that someone else will buy it or use it. Regardless, the dress was accompanied not just by matching sandals, but also a heartfelt prayer that should someone use it, that she would be blessed abundantly by it. That whoever she is would live out, in one way or another, the joy and fulfillment that first went in to picking the dress out, next in putting it together, and finally in seeing and wearing the finished product in all its beauty. That is, after all, what it was intended for.

One day, I, too, will wear the actual dress for me – perhaps of similar material, but different style, maybe even of a similar design, but no beadwork. Possibly with pearls, and probably even more expensive. I can’t really say right now. We’ll all just have to wait and see.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

naku. papano na yan eh puro puti jan?!?! walang kasing payat mo jan! LOL ;)

Joke lang! Smile naman jan!

Anyway, I cannot wait till that day comes and I'm going to be there crying -saying I told you so, as you walk down the aisle in a dress that will complement your nature..elegantly graceful :)

graceful anna :D

Anonymous said...

anna,
this is beautiful. you are such a wonderful sweet and graceful (as trish said) girl! I just know in my heart you have done the right thing, another beautiful blushing bride who probably doesnt think everything will come together, or that there won't be enough money, will go to the goodwill as a last resort and find the dress of her dreams quite affordable.
And one day, you will get another dress, I hope i'm there with you when you pick it out, because you will be one of the most beautiful brides i'll ever seen. And, an even more beautiful wife. Your day is coming friend... just you wait and see!

Keri said...

This was beautiful. I believe it's times when we let go, that God takes the reins, and He begins preparing what He always had in store for us. I know this had to of been hard, but I know God is going to bring you everything you desire. The new dress, and more will be more than you ever could imagine. I can't wait to watch this begin to fold out.
I pray for healing and strength for you right now. I pray that you would begin to see what God is doing, and Hope for the new would grab your soul.

Tori said...

it was in our house for months, and i used to pass by that bedroom and feel sad sometimes. i could wallow in that sorrow for you, but i know that's not what you need.

you need to hear the Truth. and it's that He's got a perfect plan, in His perfect time. even when you didn't know it, that dress was custom made for someone else, and God used you as a "fit model" to help their dream along.

but, yours is not forgotten. in fact, i believe you're going to be amazingly more blessed because of your trust in Him, and your ability to let it go, in goodwill.

we'll find that perfect dress, with the most amazing flowers and the most beautiful color scheme ever. your dreams will fall perfectly in line... and we'll all be standing there in crying unity, as we kindly whisper "we told you so!"