I've always been daddy's little girl. Come to think of it, I've been mommy's little girl ever since, too. I'm definitely the baby in my family. I suppose it's only natural, considering I am the youngest of my parents' three children, and the ultimate last grandchild on my mother's side (and there's a lot of us, including step-grandchildren and all!). I do have to say, I've enjoyed almost every minute of it -- the toys and clothes I receieved as hand-me-downs, the playful nicknames they each have for me, and especially the fact that by the time I wanted to anything like hang out with friends and stay out late, my sister had already broken my parents in, so they weren't as paranoid or strict with me. You know, perks like those. And, as it turns out, even though I keep getting older (in age and not necessarily in maturity!), I've found out that this type of baby-status is not something that one ever truly outgrows.
My parents still wonder how of all their kids it is the one always pegged as the most likely to stay close who now lives furthest away. I don't have a detailed explanation for them, except maybe that everyone's life has its own little batch of irony. My being far, far away just happens to be a significant notch in theirs. Plus, I have a feeling I never would have learned as much as I have, even as much I needed to, if I never moved away.
As for being the youngest, I am very much aware of some common perceptions associated with being last in the family's birth order -- supposedly spoiled, with a tendency to be irresponsible, carefree and happy-go-lucky, the kind that live for the moment. Not only that, are also likely to be great initiators, but not necessarily very good finishers. I had a good laugh when I read this line in an article recently: While the message for first borns is to lighten up it seems that this group (the last borns) needs to take things more seriously sometimes. Good thing it's only sometimes...
As for me, though, in taking as fair an assessment of myself as I could, here's what I've realized: while I am a little spoiled, over the years I've come to learn to fend for myself, especially while being completely out on my own and a million miles away from my family. I also think that being the baby has allowed for me to be more affectionate and expressive, which I happen to like about myself. I have an adventurous side and trying new things comes naturally to me, but I'm definitely not crazy or wild. I have been known to thoroughly enjoy the company of my little buddies whose average age is maybe 4, and relish in the simple joys they effortlessly bring. At the end of the day, I love that in my family I'll always be the baby. I love that I'm the youngest. And I'm actually quite fond of the idea of never really having to grow up... ever!
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you may be the youngest in your family; but you're a middle child in ours (since you came in the picture after ansley, and before #4). by the way, sanks for that sucker in lila's hair today... you probably never, never ever will grow up. and that's why we (all of us) love you so much.
Post a Comment